Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Red Wine Braised Braised Short Ribs with Parsip/Potato Mash and Roasted Brussels Sprout



This dish was created for a couple reasons.  I recently discovered the short rib and have been in love with it since.  And two, I had a bottle of Cabanero which is a habanero infused red wine that I had purchased to drink and did not care for it as something to drink.

Anyways, the night before, I had marinaded the short ribs in the wine with onion, garlic, celery, and carrot.  The next day afterwork, I let the short ribs sit at room temperature for a bit.  I seared all sides of the short ribs and added in the marinade to begin the braising process.

I braised it for about 3 hours and pulled it and stuck it in the oven to keep warm while the red wine reduces.  While the short ribs was braising, I went ahead and started preparing the sides.

This would be my first go around with parsnip and decided to mix it with potatoes to make a mash.  I mashed it with some milk that I had simmered with butter and infused with garlic and parsley.  The brussels sprouts were simply treated with salt and pepper, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar and roasted.


My first time with parsnip was a very positive experience.  I love the flavors that it gives to the potatoes.  To me, it reminded me of Christmas which paired well with my red wine reduction and short ribs.  Unfortunately, the heat was cooked out of the wine.  The wine itself had a nice little kick to it that I was hoping would have carried over into the sauce and short ribs.  The brussels sprouts ended up having crispy outside layers which was a big plus!.

No comments:

Post a Comment