Thursday, May 9, 2013

Chicken Boudin Roulade with Crispy Chicken Skin


Thought I would have a little bit of fun for dinner tonight.  I was going through my food pictures last night and ran across a boudin stuffed chicken I had made several months ago and that sounded delicious for dinner. 

I had some boudin my parents had given me and chicken breast with skin on I had deboned.  I peeled the skin off and set that aside.  The first fun part was flattening the chicken breast out.  I have a meat mallet, but it is so much more fun and easier to just use a pan and pound away!  Great way to take some anger out.  I lightly seasoned the chicken breast and the skin.

I took the boudin out of the casing and spread it evenly on the chicken and rolled it up.  I tied it up with some butchers twine to help keep it together during the cooking process. 

Now the other fun begins!  I used a butter and oil mix to pan fry the chicken  I threw in some fresh oregano as well.  I took the skin and started to slowly cook this down until it became similar to a pork rind.  I added the chicken roulade in as well so it can begin cooking.  Fearing that the chicken would not hold up after I take the twine off, I let the seam side of the roll crisp up to form a "burned" crust.  By the time the chicken skin became crisp, the chicken roulade was fully cooked as well. 

I set all this aside to rest so I can cut it without it all falling apart. 

With the same pan, I deglazed the pan with some chicken broth.  Keep in mind, the pan had all these delicious flavors from the butter and oregano and chicken juices from the chicken.  I added in some brown mustard and peach preserve and just let it cook down.  When I taste tested the sauce...it turned out delicious!  The sauce had so many different flavors going on.  Of course the sweet peach from the preserve and then you get a hint of "fried chicken" from the skin that was cooked in the butter & oil mix. 

I decided to have some fun with the plating of the Chicken Boudin Roulade as well.  I spread out some of the Peach glaze on the entire plate.  After the chicken had rested, I sliced it like a sushi roll and plated it like it as well.  The chicken skin was the last addition to this plate...I just added that to the front of the plate to highlight it.







I present to everyone...Chicken Boudin Roulade and Crispy Chicken Skin with a Peach Glaze.  This may been one of my most fun dishes to create.  Happy Eatings!!

No comments:

Post a Comment